When you can switch
The cost of energy in NSW
How to compare retailers
How to compare NSW energy plans
An online comparison tool is the quickest and easiest way to review your options and find a cheaper energy deal in New South Wales. Simply enter your postcode - for example, 2000 for Sydney - and you can see the cheapest and best energy plans in NSW organised by:
- Energy usage and rates
You can learn more about how to compare NSW electricity plans and energy providers below.
Can you switch energy retailers in NSW?
If you live in New South Wales, you shouldn’t have any problem choosing your own energy retailer. In general, residents in NSW and its major areas can choose their electricity and gas suppliers:
| || |
You can also choose to switch your energy providers if you live in these states:
- Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Energy
- South Australia (SA) Energy
- South-East Queensland (QLD) Energy Plans
- Victoria (VIC) Energy
If you are not currently living in NSW, you can select your state from the list above to compare energy retailers in your region.
What is the average electricity bill in NSW?
The average electricity bill in NSW is $1,898.40. This amount will vary depending on the number of people in the household and lifestyle choices which can impact the amount of energy used. On average:
- A single person living alone: $1,322.50
- A couple living together: $1,695.50
- A family of four (two parents, two children): $2,250.50
- A family of six (two parents, four children): $2,650.50
Please note that these are only estimated averages based on a range of different individual electricity requirements and energy plans available in NSW. Depending on your provider and circumstances, your average electricity bill may be higher or lower.
Example of annual average energy prices NSW
|Single||Couple||Family of 4||Family of 6|
Top 10 Cheapest* Energy Plans NSW
|Energy Retailer||Plan Name||Estimated Cost (Annual)||Estimated Cost (Monthly)|
|ReAmped||Handshake - Anytime||$1,176.00||$98.00|
|Energy Locals||Local Saver - Anytime||$1,183.00||$98.58|
|Kogan Energy||Market Offer||$1,209.00||$100.75|
|Origin Energy||Max Saver||$1,231.00||$102.58|
|Elysian Energy||Market Residential Simple Plan||$1,234.00||$102.83|
|Discover Energy||Residential Single Rate Ultimate Offer||$1,234.00||$102.83|
|Sumo||Select Residential Single Rate||$1,245.00||$102.91|
|Powerdirect||Residential Discount Saver||$1,245.00||$102.91|
|AGL||Residential Essentials Saver||$1,275.00||$106.25|
*Disclaimer: All information and details for listed plans, discounts, incentives, usage charges, and fees are only accurate at the time of writing, and may not accurately reflect the rates offered when applying. Actual rates may differ based on your location, electricity and gas use, or eligibility for plans. Please refer to the Energy Retailer website for the most up to date information.
Is the cheapest energy plan in NSW the best?
To find the cheapest energy plans in NSW and choose the best plan for your needs, you can consider the following factors:
- Discounts and how to qualify
- Length of discounts - i.e. benefit terms
- Incentives for switching from another retailer
- The lowest usage rates
- Supply charges
- Length of contract and exit fees
It’s important to remember that everyone living in NSW will use energy differently, and have their own personal circumstances and energy requirements. Almost everyone will have varying energy use depending on the size of their household or the energy-efficiency of their appliances.
How to compare NSW energy retailers
- Customer Service and Support - Do they have a call centre with quality support?
- Billing and Payments - Do you receive accurate statements?
- Plan Flexibility - What other services do they offer?
You can read individual reviews for NSW energy providers below. Use these reviews to compare various charges, plan details, and service offerings from leading energy providers.
NSW Energy Provider Reviews
How to change energy retailers in NSW
If you have compared energy plans in NSW and chosen a new provider who best suits your needs, making the switch should be relatively simple. You will need to:
- Apply with the new provider
- Cancel your existing plan
- Receive confirmation of the change
Your new provider should generally be able to supply your energy by the next working day.
Changing energy retailers when renting
If you’re renting a property in NSW you can switch energy plans to a provider that best meets your needs. If electricity or gas is included in your rent then you will not be able to switch providers as it will be your landlord who has responsibility for the energy service at your rental property.
How long does it take to switch energy providers in NSW?
If you are switching providers but not moving premises the amount of time it will take for you to switch providers will depend on your last meter read, the date of which is determined by your current NSW electricity retailer.
Each energy retailer in NSW will have their own schedule for reading customer electricity meters, so be sure to check with your current provider before making the switch.
If you are moving house, many NSW energy providers will have “move-in” guarantees that ensure that your energy will be available on the date of your move. You will generally need to give them 2-5 days notice of the moving date.
What is the cost of changing energy retailers in NSW?
Energy providers in NSW will often not charge you to switch plans or providers if you are on an open contract. If you have signed a fixed-term deal, you might be required to pay an exit fee if you terminate before the contract is finished.
If you are moving, most energy providers that operate in NSW charge connection fees for setting up the account and service to your home. The cost for this is usually added to your first bill.
The cost of setting up your new energy plan will usually be included in your first bill.
NSW electricity provider discounts
Comparing electricity providers in NSW can help you discover cheaper plans and lower energy prices, but you could also discover a range of discounts on electricity plans. Some of the common NSW electricity discounts available include:
- Pay on time discount - can be applied to usage charges or your entire bill. The most common type of discount, and simply requires customers to pay their bill by a specified date.
- Direct Debit discount - can be applied to usage charges or your entire bill. An easy way to save money by linking your debit account to make automatic payments to your energy retailer.
- Bundled energy discount - varies between 2% and 15% of your bill or usage charges. Only available for customers who can receive both electricity and gas from the same energy retailer.
- Email billing discount - often only applied to your bill, as it reduces the cost of providing physical, paper bills to customers by the retailer. You will also receive all communication from your energy retailer through the same email.
- Plan-specific discounts (Unconditional energy discounts) - application will vary between plans, however they often do not need any conditions met, such as a sign-up incentive discount for switching retailers.
Be sure to check any conditions or benefit periods when comparing NSW electricity and gas retailers. You may find the available discounts on various plans range from a couple of months up to a few years.
NSW electricity and gas rebates
The NSW government also offers a number of electricity and gas rebates which can help reduce the cost of your energy bill.
Examples of NSW energy rebates
|Low Income Household Rebate||The Low Income Household Rebate provides up to $258.50 for electricity customers who hold eligible concession cards issued by the Federal Department of Human Services or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.|
|Family Energy Rebate||The NSW Family Energy Rebate provides up to $165 for eligible households with dependent children who have received Family Tax Benefit A or B in the previous financial year.|
|Gas Rebate||The NSW Gas Rebate is available to eligible households that rely on LPG for basic needs.|
7 tips to compare electricity NSW
- Make sure you cancel any automatic payments set-up with your previous energy retailer.
- Always compare plans carefully instead of just looking at the cheapest overall price or the highest discount.
- Check to see when your current energy retailer reads your meter, and time your switch so you can change electricity providers quickly and avoid paying a callout fee.
- Carefully review any contract-specific fees with your new provider, such as early break fees or disconnection and reconnection fees.
- Use as many of your previous energy bills as possible to determine your actual usage charges over various months of the year. You may find that certain retailers offer seasonal rates throughout the year, which may not match your ideal energy usage for those months.
- Take note of when your new electricity provider will read your meter, and whether they offer an app to allow you to track your usage or receive alerts on bill payment dates.
- Make sure you clear any outstanding debts with your existing energy retailer before deciding to make the change to another retailer. In general, you will not be allowed to change providers before paying your existing account in full.
Comparing energy retailers and finding the best and cheapest electricity and gas plans in NSW should be as easy as possible for consumers. After all, you’re paying the bills, so why should you not have the freedom to choose your retailer?
Using our simple comparison tool, you can see a selection of available deals to choose from in seconds. Never pay too much for energy again!
Compare energy retailers NSW FAQ
How do I compare NSW electricity rates?
To compare NSW electricity rates, you will first want to look at usage charges and supply charges. Supply charges are the cost of connecting your house to electricity - also known as a service charge - while usage charges are based on your actual household energy use.
How can I quickly compare NSW energy retailers?
You can quickly compare NSW energy retailers using an online energy comparison tool. This will allow you to enter your postcode and various energy-usage details to see tailored plans available from various retailers in your area.
How do I find the cheapest electricity provider in NSW?
You can find the cheapest NSW electricity provider by comparing energy retailers and their currently available offers. You may find some NSW electricity providers offer discounts, usage fees, and sign-up incentives which are more suitable to your individual situation than others.
Can I get electricity and gas from the same energy retailer in NSW?
Yes, you can receive electricity and gas from the same energy retailer in NSW. When comparing NSW energy retailers, check to see whether they first offer both electricity and gas - you can quickly do this by using an online energy retailer comparison tool.