When you can switch
The cost of energy in SA
How to compare retailers
How to compare SA energy plans
The easiest way to compare SA energy plans is to use an online energy comparison tool. Simply enter your postcode into the tool - for example, 5000 for Adelaide - and you can quickly view the available electricity and gas plans in your area. For greater accuracy when comparing electricity plans, you can include your current usage and energy requirements.
However, there are other factors to consider, such as discounts, usage and supply charges, and any fees included in the various plans on offer. You can learn more about how to compare SA electricity plans and energy providers below.
Can you switch energy retailers in SA?
If you live in South Australia, you shouldn’t have any problem choosing your own energy retailer. In general, residents in SA and its major areas can choose their electricity and gas suppliers:
| || |
You can also choose to switch your energy providers if you live in these states:
If you are not currently living in SA, you can select your state from the list above to compare energy retailers in your region.
What is the average electricity bill in SA?
The average electricity bill in SA is $1,898.00. This amount will vary depending on the number of people in the household and lifestyle choices which can impact the amount of energy used. On average:
- A single person living alone: $1,322.50
- A couple living together: $1,695.50
- A family of four (two parents, two children): $2,250.50
- A family of six (two parents, four children): $2,650.50
Please note that these are only estimated averages based on a range of different individual electricity requirements and energy plans available in SA. Depending on your provider and circumstances, your average electricity bill may be higher or lower.
Example of annual average energy prices SA
|Single||Couple||Family of 4||Family of 6|
Top 10 Cheapest* Energy Plans SA
|Energy Retailer||Plan Name||Estimated Cost (Quarterly)||Estimated Cost (Annual)|
|Kogan Energy||Kogan Energy Market Offer||$402.45||$1,609.80|
|Diamond Energy||Everyday Renewable Saver||$407.65||$1,630.60|
|Powerclub||Powerbank Home Flat||$410.28||$1,641.12|
|Origin Energy||Origin Max Saver||$417.13||$1,668.52|
|AGL||Residential Essentials Saver - No Exit Fee||$421.74||$1,686.96|
|Powerdirect||Powerdirect Residential Discount Saver - No Exit Fee||$421.85||$1,687.40|
|Elysian Energy||Elysian Market Residential Simple Plan (SAPN)||$427.17||$1,708.68|
|Momentum Energy||Smile Power Flexi||$429.59||$1,718.36|
|Mojo Power||SE Legacy Standing Offer||$444.06||$1,776.24|
*Disclaimer: All information and details for listed plans, discounts, incentives, usage charges, and fees are only accurate at the time of writing, and may not accurately reflect the rates offered when applying. Actual rates may differ based on your location, electricity and gas use, or eligibility for plans. Please refer to the Energy Retailer website for the most up to date information.
Is the cheapest energy plan in SA the best?
To find the cheapest energy plans in SA and choose the best plan for your needs, you can consider the following factors:
- Incentives for switching from another retailer
- The lowest usage rates
- Supply charges
- Length of contract and exit fees
- Discounts and how to qualify
- Length of discounts - i.e. benefit terms
It’s important to remember that everyone living in SA will use energy differently, and have different living situations - such as single or dual-occupancies - and appliances which use varying amounts of electricity.
How to compare SA energy retailers
The best energy retailers in SA won’t just offer cheap electricity and discounts. You can compare SA energy retailers on the three core aspects of their service and plan offerings:
- Customer Service and Support - Is the customer service team able to suggest the best plan for your situation?
- Billing and Payments - payment frequencies, statement and billing options
- Plan Flexibility - Are you tied into a contract, or do you have the option to change when you’d like?
You can read individual reviews for SA energy providers below. Use these reviews to compare various charges, plan details, and service offerings from leading energy providers.
SA Energy Provider Reviews
How to change energy retailers in SA
Once you've compared electricity and gas plans in SA, the next step is to choose an energy retailer who offers the best plan for your needs. After you’ve made your choice on a new provider and energy plan, making the switch should be relatively simple:
- Apply with the new provider
- Cancel your existing plan
- Receive confirmation of the change
Your new provider should generally be able to supply your energy by the next day.
Changing energy retailers when renting in SA
If you’re renting a property in SA you can switch energy plans to a provider that best meets your needs. If electricity or gas is included in your rent then you will not be able to switch providers as it will be your landlord who has responsibility for the energy service at your rental property.
How long does it take to switch energy providers in SA?
If you are switching providers but staying on the same property, the amount of time it will take for you to switch providers will depend on when your current provider can conduct a final meter read.
Just as it can take up to three months for you to start receiving bills from your new energy provider, your current energy retailer may take just as long to determine your final bill. Each energy retailer will have their own dates for reading customer electricity meters, so be sure to check with your current provider before making the switch.
What is the cost of changing energy retailers in SA?
Energy retailers in SA will generally not make you pay a fee to switch providers if you are on an open contract. If your fixed-term contract includes a break fee, you can always talk to your retailer about how that fee applies, or if they can offer you a better deal.
If you are moving residences, most energy providers that operate in SA charge connection fees. This is a one-time fee charged for both setting up the new account and connecting their service to your home and is often included in your first energy bill.
SA electricity provider discounts
Comparing electricity providers in SA can help you discover cheaper plans and lower energy prices, but you could also discover a range of discounts on electricity plans. Some of the common SA electricity discounts available include:
- Pay on time discount - can be applied to usage charges or your entire bill. The most common type of discount, and simply requires customers to pay their bill by a specified date.
- Direct Debit discount - can be applied to usage charges or your entire bill. An easy way to save money by linking your debit account to make automatic payments to your energy retailer.
- Bundled energy discount - varies between 2% and 15% of your bill or usage charges. Only available for customers who can receive both electricity and gas from the same energy retailer.
- Email billing discount - often only applied to your bill, as it reduces the cost of providing physical, paper bills to customers by the retailer. You will also receive all communication from your energy retailer through the same email.
- Plan-specific discounts (Unconditional energy discounts) - application will vary between plans, however they often do not need any conditions met, such as a sign-up incentive discount for switching retailers.
Be sure to check any conditions or benefit periods when comparing SA electricity providers. You may find the available discounts on various plans range from a couple of months up to a few years.
SA electricity concessions
The SA state government provides an energy concession of up to $215 a year for eligible households on low or fixed incomes. You may be eligible for the concession if you hold one of the following cards, or if you receive one of the following Centrelink payments:
SA energy concession eligibility
|Card Concessions||Centrelink Concessions|
| || |
7 tips to compare electricity SA
- Always compare plans carefully instead of just looking at the cheapest overall price or the highest discount.
- Check to see when your current energy retailer reads your meter, and time your switch so you can change electricity providers quickly and avoid paying a callout fee.
- Make sure you cancel any automatic payments set-up with your previous energy retailer.
- Take note of when your new electricity provider will read your meter, and whether they offer an app to allow you to track your usage or receive alerts on bill payment dates.
- Carefully review any contract-specific fees with your new provider, such as early break fees or disconnection and reconnection fees.
- Use as many of your previous energy bills as possible to determine your actual usage charges over various months of the year. You may find that certain retailers offer seasonal rates throughout the year, which may not match your ideal energy usage for those months.
- Make sure you clear any outstanding debts with your existing energy retailer before deciding to make the change to another retailer. In general, you will not be allowed to change providers before paying your existing account in full.
If you live in SA, you’ll be fortunate in that you have a lot of freedom when choosing your electricity and gas retailer. With so many options to choose from, the quickest way to compare your current plan with other SA energy plans is to use our energy comparison tool.
Simply enter in some basic details, and we’ll provide a list of deals and plans from some of South Australia’s leading electricity and gas retailers.
Compare energy retailers SA FAQ
How do I compare SA electricity rates?
To compare SA electricity rates, you will first want to look at usage charges and supply charges. Supply charges are the cost of connecting your house to electricity - also known as a service charge - while usage charges are based on your actual household energy use.
How can I quickly compare SA energy retailers?
You can quickly compare SA energy retailers using an online energy comparison tool. This will allow you to enter your postcode and various energy-usage details to see tailored plans available from various retailers in your area.
How do I find the cheapest electricity provider in SA?
You can find the cheapest SA electricity provider by comparing energy retailers and their currently available offers. You may find some SA electricity providers offer discounts, usage fees, and sign-up incentives which are more suitable to your individual situation than others.
Can I get electricity and gas from the same energy retailer in SA?
Yes, you can receive electricity and gas from the same energy retailer in SA. When comparing SA energy retailers, check to see whether they first offer both electricity and gas - you can quickly do this by using an online energy retailer comparison tool.